Sunday, March 18, 2012

Conditional Clauses: Answer Key

 Exercise 1
1 a2 b3 c4 d

Exercise 2
2   If I didn’t have a headache, I’d go swimming.
3   If I knew the answer, I’d tell you.
4   If we had any / some money, we’d have a holiday this year.
5   If I had any spare time, I’d learn Russian.
6   If we had a big house, we could invite friends to stay.
7   If I had a mobile, you could call me.
8   If he bought a ticket, he could win the lottery.
9   If Francis didn’t work so hard, he’d have time to spend with his family.
10 If we didn’t have three children, we’d take a year off and travel the world. 

Exercise 3
2   If they hadn’t borrowed the bike without permission, they wouldn’t have been arrested.
3   If their dinner hadn’t burned, they wouldn’t have phoned for a pizza.
4   If he hadn’t parked his car illegally, it wouldn’t have been towed away.
5   If he hadn’t worked 24 hours a day, seven days a week, he wouldn’t have made a fortune.

Exercise 4
2   And our children wouldn’t have been born.
3   We wouldn’t have gone to live in Australia.
4   We wouldn’t have bought a house in Sydney.
5   I would have trained to be a teacher.
6   I would have worked in a secondary school for 20 years.

Exercise 5
1   If I hadn’t got up late yesterday, I wouldn’t have been in such a hurry. I might not have left my briefcase at home, and I certainly would have arrived in time for the most important meeting of the year.
2   If I’d saved some money instead of spending it all, I could have gone abroad on holiday instead of staying at home.
3   I felt like a fool. I shouldn’t have told my best friend I liked Georges. She could never keep a secret.
4   I should have taken the metro instead of the bus. I might have avoided the traffic jam.

Exercise 6
2   might
3   would
4   should
5   could
6   shouldn’t

Exercise 7
2   known; ’d
3   travel
4   ’d be
5   wouldn’t run; was / were
6   ’d phoned; have given
7   need; ’ll come
8   are; will … buy

No comments:

Post a Comment